Be my friend :-) Like Mommy-Morhphosis on Facebook!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Baby Bullet Product Review

Making your own baby food has never been easier. Parent's growing commitment to healthy living has led many new Moms and Dads to prepare fresh, additive-free pureed fruits and veggies as their baby's first foods. It's also very economical. You don't need to be a tree hugging Martha Stewart to pull it off either, with lots of cool products on the market you can become a ga-ga gourmet in no time. 


Since pregnancy I'd been eyeing the Baby Bullet, made by the creators of the Magic Bullet. For approximately $60 the system includes: a large batch bowl/blender, short cup with lid for individual meals, power base, soft tip spatula, baby blend blade, milling blade, pocket nutritionist guide, user manual and cookbook, 6 date-dial storage cups and a storage tray for freezing. The Baby Bullet does not have an all in one steamer like other systems, but the date-dial storage cups were more of a must-have for me. Baby Bullet does make a Turbo Steamer which I have not purchased.  The steamer is currently running as a bonus item for free if you purchase the Baby Bullet system online. 


The pocket shopping guide was a great score. I take the manual along with me on my shopping trips to Whole Foods for organic produce. I use the recipe guide to pick fruits, veggies and grains that are age appropriate. We started with basic items like oats, sweet potatoes, apples, pears and eventually tried more interesting options like eggplant, kale, cantaloupe, avocado, watermelon and mango. Even if your baby is older than six months and has been eating prepared foods for a while consider making food at home. The system allows you to make smooth pureed food as well as more textured meals, even with meat and pasta for older infants. 


The Baby Bullet box and all it's trappings make you think it's more challenging to use than it actually is. After thoroughly reading everything I came to the conclusion, I probably could have figured it out with common sense. It's pretty much a glorified blender with various blades and basins. The milling blade works beautifully for oats and lentils. I'm plan to try black and garbanzo beans next month. Fruits and veggies are a breeze as well. Steaming anything from apples to potatoes usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Pureeing less than two minutes. From start to finish; prepping, steaming, blending to storing I can make a week worth of food in a little over an hour. Clean up is a snap also. The BPA free parts are all safe to place in your dishwasher, though I tend to wash them by hand. 


My baby girl has always enjoyed mealtime, but since using the Baby Bullet to provide the freshest food possible she is even more excited! Her little taste buds can surely tell the difference between her new, improved selections and the bottled stuff. I've tasted everything I've made and it is delicious. I'm talking utterly scrumptious!  


In all I have been very pleased with the system contents, ease of use, quality of product and clean-up required. I highly recommend it to parents concerned about nutrition. Making your own food guarantees that you know what's going into your baby's food and subsequently into their little bellies. 


MommyMorphosis Grade - A 


For more information about the pros and cons of making your own baby food check out this article by Gina Shaw on WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/baby-food-nutrition-9/making-baby-food

If you like the idea of a steamer/blender combo item check out the $120 Beaba Babycook Baby Food Maker http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/beaba-babycook-baby-food-maker/

1 comment:

Lady MGA said...

I give it an A also. I've been using it for three months now. It's easy, smart and convenient. I'm looking forward to doing beans this week as I'm really trying to not do meats. That's a fight between me and hubby (and another story). I like the textures of doing your own blending. And yes I too call it a glorified blender but it's so much more size appropriate.