Be my friend :-) Like Mommy-Morhphosis on Facebook!

Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Oh my goodness, he's really listening!

Rules are rules, whether at home or at school. I say this to my kid time and time again hoping it sinks in and he takes heed. As parents we offer guidance and boundaries; some of it sticks and some doesn't. Best case scenario our voices will echo in their heads and they will think about what we've taught them before they make decisions, no matter how big or small. I'm fortunate to have a pretty well behaved boy, but just how much he respects my wishes was confirmed recently.

Nigel takes his birthdays very seriously. Like most kids he anticipates getting lots of gifts from friends and family. Presents are a big deal, especially when people other than Mommy or Daddy get him something special. Nigel's preschool teachers usually get him a little trinket for his birthday. Imagine my surprise when upon my arrival at school his instructor pulled me aside to say Nigel had graciously given his present back to her after opening it. Apparently as soon as he looked inside of the gift bag and saw a Star Wars Nerf Blaster he returned it. My husband and I don't allow him to play with guns of any kind. How mature of my Nigel to understand our rule and abide by it even when his parents weren't around. I asked him if he understood why we don't want him to play with guns. He told me it's because guns hurt people and they are not for games. Eureka! Integrity is defined by doing the right thing when no one is looking. My big guy is growing up and showing me he can make responsible choices. My pride is hard to mask :-D

3 comments:

skip.davis said...

That's my Daughter.-Great Teaching!
That's my GRAND-SON!!!!!
Tres Intelligent and Great Ethics.
It takes COURAGE to do the right thing - ANYTIME.
LOVE ALWAYS PROUD Dad / Pops

ShoMommy said...

He's got a great foundation, but he's still learning & growing. (as we learned with the Harry Potter wand this weekend)

Lady MGA said...

Awwww! I was so moved. Train them up in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it. That's what the Good Book says. And it's proven. Good job Shoyoye's!